The holidays are a wonderful time of celebration bringing together loved ones, but they can also often mean overindulgence in unhealthy foods. This recipe offers you a guilt free treat to enjoy! It combines many of my favorite and healthy ingredients: raw cacao (exploding with antioxidants and other great properties), delicious smelling and tasting healing essential oils* (with numerous health benefits) and coconut oil (great for digestion, increased immunity and more).
Raw chocolate is a delicious and YES healthy alternative to milk chocolate, which is almost always processed at such high temperatures that the cacao it loses its healing properties.
- 1 cup raw cacao powder (OR whole ground to a fine power in a Vita-Mix or quality food processor)
- 3/4 cup of organic coconut oil
- 3/4 cup agave or your choice of other sweetener (adjust sweetness to your taste, you may use a little less or more than this)
- 2 – 3 drops of your favorite Young Living Essential Oil (pick one: Orange, Citrus Fresh, Peppermint, Cinnamon Bark, Jasmine or Lavender)*
- OPTIONAL: experiment by adding finely chopped nuts, NingXia Wolfberries (again a Vitamix chops these to a powder that is ideal for chocolate making), or your other favorite dry flavorings
- Melt coconut oil in a double boiler.
- In a second bowl mix all ingredients apart from essential oils with a whisk until very smooth / alternatively use a blender. Be careful not to drip water in here when transferring oil from the double boiler. Note that raw cacao can vary in bitterness, therefore add sweetener slowly until the desired result is reached. This recipe is VERY forgiving, so if you think the mix is very thick when you stir you can add a little more melted oil and if the mix is runny then sprinkle more cacao powder to adjust consistency.
- Once sweetness is adjusted then drip your essential oils into the mix and adjust taste to your personal preference.
- If you have candy moulds pour your chocolate into the trays and cool. Otherwise you can pour onto a tray and refrigerate then cut into squares**
- Remove your delicious creations from the moulds and enjoy!
*Young Living Essential Oils are pure, high quality food grade essential oils that are approved for consumption. We DO NOT recommend using other brands of oils as they may not be pure and could have chemical fillers that are unsafe for ingesting.
**Candy moulds are available at most craft or baking shops or shop online (ex http://kitchenware.goldaskitchen.com/cookware/Easter%20Chocolate%20Molds)
For additional reading about the healthy properties of raw chocolate check out Naked Chocolate by Davide Wolfe.
Have fun with your chocolate creations, I find that each batch ends up being unique and delicious in its own way. Please share comments on any of these or other favorite flavorings you have tried with success.